Sunday, February 26, 2012

Idiosyncrasies.

So here is this self-reflective personal essay I have been working on. I will be submitting it for an application very soon, and I actually think it's at least somewhat half good...I think. Well, it's interesting to say the least; I have never in all my years come across an admissions question as bizarre as this one, but dare to be different, right? Ha. Okay. Here's my essay/prompt.

Identify and describe a personal habit or idiosyncrasy - of any nature - that helps define you.


Out of the numerous idiosyncrasies that shape me to be who I am today, I believe the most prominent is my craving of adventure. Having grown up in the beautiful yet somewhat isolated state of Oregon, and not having traveled much as a child, I now search for independence, innovation, and the inexperienced in every opportunity I am presented with. My first true investigation of the inexperienced came when I was 16 years old, when I decided to leave the United States for an educational tour of France. While on the tour, I observed hundreds of artistic creations and landmarks from all eras; however, for me the true adventure came when, for the first time, I was able to break out of the shell of what was familiar. I was able to witness firsthand the different ways in which people led their lives, both in the large city of Paris, and in small southern towns or countryside. Also, by viewing the aforementioned artistic creations and landmarks, I was able to broaden my knowledge by learning the way in which the French interpret the world's cultures and histories.


Later, at the age of 18 when I began taking my first steps into adulthood, I decided to visit a good friend in the city of Boston, unaccompanied. Having never traveled to the northeastern corner of the United States before, I decided to take full advantage of the six days I was given and experience as much as I could. With my future in mind I took a tour of the Boston College Law School, as well as of historical landmarks such as Nathaniel Hawthorne's House of Seven Gables and the Salem Witch Museum. Then, when it was finally time for me to find summer employment after my first year of college, I decided to step out of my comfort zone a little further and apply for a position to work in Yellowstone National Park. For almost three months I lived on my own in northern Wyoming, determined to embrace as best I could the different life style that living in a quiet and mountainous region, as opposed to a large city, had to offer.


A few years ago, someone very dear to my heart once told me to "do one thing that scares you each day;" such is my interpretation of "adventurous." I believe that life is precious and, as it is only lived once, I try to honor that belief by both challenging myself and stepping out of my comfort zone with open-mindedness and gratitude. I make courageous yet intelligent decisions, enjoy all the possibilities life has to offer, and try to never take anything or anyone for granted.


Oy. You know what no; I really hate admissions essays. I will have more interesting somethings to post about tomorrow, rather than essays that reflect how un-original I actually am. Nighty night all.

~Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment