Wednesday, December 28, 2011

I have this weird feeling.

I have been having this feeling lately, this feeling of being lost. I don't mean lost like I don't know where I am geographically, but lost as in I have no idea where I am going, and where I really belong. 

I have been studying at Seattle University for almost two years now, and believe me when I tell you that despite everything I may say, it is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. In high school, I was never really much of a party girl, and I definitely was not one of the most popular girls around. So naturally I was nervous that once I started college, I would be forced into this culture of partying and getting wasted every weekend (now, if you enjoy doing things like that, such is your right, no judgments here). But once I got to SU and really got to know the people who I can now call my good friends, I realized that that kind of lifestyle was not expected of me at all. I found friends (and rather easily, mind you) who were perfectly happy with just sitting in and watching a movie on a Saturday night, or going on random adventures in the city during the day. And for that, I will be forever grateful. 

However, despite this "best thing that has ever happened to me," I can't help but to have these little extra thoughts taking residence in the back of my mind. Is the fact that I don't go to a huge, more independent party school a bad thing? Is going to a school like that the experience I should really be having? What am I really doing at Seattle University? Was it the right choice for me? I know my parents thought so, they were so excited when I got my acceptance letter and talked of no other school for months. Did their attitudes influence me?? All of these questions, I have no answers to, and lately that has just been driving me bonkers. And then it doesn't really help that I don't know what I want to do with my life after I finish school. I'm a French major with a minor in History; do I want to go to law school? Honestly, probably not. While some aspects of it do fascinate me, I met with a pre-law advisor last term, and she basically just told flat out that if, emphasis on the if, I get a decent score on the LSATs, then with my GPA I might be somewhat competitive for admission. Emphasis on the might. God. I have a 3.7! That's not that bad is it? College is hard! Anyway, the other option I have been toying with lately is going to school to get my M.A/Ph.D in French, and then use that to teach university or translate, or I don't know, something along those lines. There are so many options, but which option is best for my life?

About those questions at the beginning of the last paragraph, yeah I still don't know, and honestly I don't think I ever will. For those of you who go to a large school, do you like it? Do you wake up every morning and think to yourself, "yes, this is where I should be?" What is it like to have all of these options for classes to take each term? What is it like to be able to take classes like...Fairytales In Early French Culture (yes UW I am looking at you, you offer that class)? I wish I could know the answer to that question, but alas I cannot. And lately that has been bothering me. Am I complaining? Because I really don't mean to be, I'm simply spilling out all of the said questions that have taken residence in the back of my mind. Ugh. I think I am asking too many questions, to be totally honest. I should probably stop now before I keep rambling 'til the end of time. I will let these questions just sit on here tonight, and maybe they can just figure themselves out. Sound good? Okay.

With that being said, bon soir tout le monde!

~Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment